In the aftermath of the shocking Trump victory last week, I dove into an ocean of articles on the topic trying to find a way to understand what was happening.
These were some of the best.
Those first shocked moments:
- The audacity of hopelessness – Roxane Gay.
- An American tragedy – David Remnick.
- This is how much America hates women – Anne Helen Petersen.
- Hillary Clinton’s grace is yours – Kelly Stout.
- How America failed women – Jill Filipovic.
- Never underestimate how much America hates women – Nona Willis Aronowitz.
- Her loss – Lindy West.
- Black women do the most for liberal America, and we get the least back – Morgan Jerkins.
- Trump’s Stunning Win.
- Feeling Bad.
Talking to kids…
- My daughter grew up believing she could do anything.
- The day after the election, I told my daughter the truth.
- Here’s what I’m telling my brown son about Trump’s America.
- Unsurprising that Rebecca Traister wrote the best piece: “Shattered”
- Don’t cry for Ivanka – fear her. (& the Ivanka voter)
- Trump and the truth: The sexual-assault allegations
- Obama reckons with a Trump presidency.
- Emily also rounded up a bunch of great pieces.
- Still Processing (tissues needed!)
- Call Your Girlfriend
- Slate’s culture gabfest, ‘the new abnormal edition‘
- Another Round
Planning what’s next:
- Love a good tasklist in a crisis. Arabelle’s. Ann’s. Oh crap! What now? Survival guide.
- Ask Polly: How do I feel hope on a day like this?
- Autocracy: rules for survival.
- Self-care from WOC.
- Don’t agonise, organise.
- Taffy’s plan.
- A letter to young women: how we will all move forward together now
- Hillary Clinton has a power that no man can take away
And some things for comfort:
- KD Lang’s Hallelujah
- Love is love is love is love is love..
- Tracy Clayton is spot on.
- Colbert signing off
- It’s hard to watch everyone laughing at this (& it’s not that long ago).
- And my new motto: Never underestimate how much people hate women. But. Never underestimate women.
P.S. I wrote an essay reacting to his election too.